18 de desembre del 2015

My bad side


It was a very dark Monday night. A lot of stormy clouds were hiding the moon in the black sky. I woke up at 4 o’clock in the morning because I didn’t want to sleep any more. It was very early to get ready for high school, so I took my mobile phone and I stayed in bed. I saw that my girlfriend had sent me some messages ten minutes before. She seemed nervous. I had a look at the whatsapp conversation, and I couldn’t believe what I was reading. She said she was in trouble. Somebody had broken into her house and had murdered her parents. She was hidden in a closet on the second floor, but the killer was looking for her. It was like a nightmare. I didn’t have any time to think and I began to run to her house.

When I arrived at her house, I had to get in through a window. I entered. Then, I saw her parents dead lying on the sofa in front of the TV. There was a lot of blood, but I didn’t have any time to waste. After climbing the stairs, I arrived at the second floor. It couldn’t be possible. My girlfriend was on the ground in a puddle of blood. Two metres away, there was the murder. I hurried to him, but I stopped. I was surprised.

He saw that I was going for him and didn’t move. I was a metre away from him. I switched the lights on. I couldn’t believe it! He was me! The person who had murdered my girlfriend and her parents was just like me! I didn’t understand anything. I might be getting mad. Then he smiled and all of a sudden I fainted.

At that very moment, I woke up. I knew it was a nightmare and it was over. I breathed quietly. It was 6 o’clock in the morning and it was high time to get up. It was Monday. Everything was normal. Suddenly, I felt my hands viscid. I checked them. I had blood on my hands. I couldn’t react. At the same time, I had a look around me. There was a knife on my bedside table with rests of entrails. Thus, I didn’t understand anything. Nowadays, I know it was my first time, but I also know it wasn’t the last.



Ferran Buera Nadal
Institut Joaquín Bau, Tortosa.



*Conte premiat en la categoria de batxillerat i cicles formatius en el VI Concurs de microrelats de terror 2015, organitzat per la biblioteca amb el suport dels departaments de Català, Castellà i Llengües estrangeres de l'Institut Cristòfol Despuig.