20 de desembre del 2013

My cousin's haunted house

When me, my mother and my little brother moved to INDIA we moved into my cousin’s house. My cousin and her maid had mysteriously dissapeared, and there were no clues to find out if there had been murder in the house or not...!!!
For many days, weeks and months we were very happy in our new house. Then, one midnight I woke up with a start, because I heard someone call my name from outside my bedroom door. Thinking it was my mother, I opened the door, but no-one was there. I peeped outside and saw a corner of a pink sari sticking out of the bathroom door, then vanish inside. I walked over to the door and opened it, but no-one was inside. Convincing myself it had been my imagination I went back inside my room, shut the door and crawled back into bed....
About five minutes later I heard that voice call my name again, but this time another voice sounded too, and two people knocked on my door. I opened the door again, but again no-one was there. Then i heard footsteps going down the stairs, so I quietly crawled to the edge of the stairs. At the bottom, I saw a woman standing there and looking up at me. Her hair was curly and black and hung over one shoulder. She was wearing a pink sari studded with navy blue beads. Two gold braclets were on one wrist, and two silver bracelets on the other. She was wearing gold earrings. After a moment of silence she turned round and walked a few steps away, then vanished!!! Completely paralyzed all I could do was shake. When I got my strength back I walked away from the stairs, but suddenly I fell down, it seems like someone pushed me from behind. As I looked up I saw blue and black mist at the bottom of the stairs. When I turned round and looked again the smoke was still there, and a wave of sky blue merged with the mist, then vanished. Immediately the strange smoke vanished too, but before the last bit of smoke had dissapeared I heard laughter. Now completely freaked!! out I ran downstairs and heard noises in the kitchen. I peeped in, and saw another woman, this time in a sky-blue sari. Her hair was tied in a bun, and she was wearing much more fine jewelry. She was holding spices in her hand, then let them fall to the floor. Then I noticed that her feet were upside down. Suddenly she turned her head and saw me, then laughed at me, her arms outstretched, as if she wanted to give me a hug. But when we were only a few feet away she vanished. 

A whirl of salmon-pink rushed past me then, and I felt something brush my arm. I hurriedly turned around but no-one was there. In the morning I found out the woman in the blue sari was my cousin and the one in the pink sari was my cousin's maid. I don’t think they wanted to do any harm to me, but I still remember how terrified I was that horrible night..!!!



Jaspreet Singh


*Conte premiat en la categoria secundària en el IV Concurs de microrelats de terror 2013, organitzat per la biblioteca amb el suport dels departaments de Català, Castellà i Llengües estrangeres de l'Institut Cristòfol Despuig.